I recently finished reading the book Sticky Faith: Everyday ideas to build lasting faith in your kids by Dr. Kara E. Powell and Dr. Chap Clark. If you are a parent, you have to read this book. You can buy it on Amazon HERE, or you can certainly buy it at our church's resource center (at all our campuses). Here are some scary realities from the book.
- "Is it really an epidemic? Does the data suggest that kids' exit from the faith is more like a trickle, or a flood? As we have examined other research, our conclusion is that 40-50% of kids who graduate from a church or youth group will fail to stick with their faith in college." (page 15)
- “I’m not satisfied with a 50 percent rate of Sticky Faith. Are you?” (page 15)
- “Somewhere between 30 and 60 percent of youth group graduates who abandon their faith and the church return to both in their late twenties. Yet those young adults have already faced significant forks in the road regarding friendship, marriage, vocation, worldview, and lifestyle, all while their faith has been pushed to the back seat. They will have to live with the consequences of those decisions for the rest of their lives.” (page 16)
- “Each month, just less than 50 percent of full-time college students binge drink, abuse prescription drugs, and/or abuse illegal drugs.” (page 17)
- “Every single emergency room in every single hospital adjoining or near a college campus stocks extra supplies on Thursday nights – rape kits for the sexual assault victims, IV fluids for those who are dehydrated from alcohol-induced vomiting, and blood for drunk driving accidents.” (page 18)
So how ready are you to prepare your children to have a sticky faith? This is your most important job as a parent! I would encourage you to read it.