Last Sunday we continued our Christmas at the Movies series with “I Don’t Belong Here” based on the movie Elf. You can watch that sermon HERE if you missed it or want to see it again. Since then I’ve learned some interesting facts about the movie that I wanted to pass along in case you are interested.
1. Jim Carrey was originally casted to play the lead role of Buddy, but that fell through when the movie took over 10 years to make.
2. They used forced perspective to make Buddy look like a giant compared to the other children.
3. Will Ferrell had headaches and couldn’t sleep because of all the sugar he ate while filming.
4. The cotton balls Buddy ate in the doctor’s office were made out of cotton candy.
5. Buddy’s constume was inspired by the ones the elves wear in the claymation classic Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.
6. Gimbel’s is based off of Macy’s on 34th Street in New York City.
7. Will Ferrell actually worked as a mall Santa before he was famous. (I love the line where he yells, “SANTA!!! I know him!”)
8. To help Will Ferrell’s reactions in this scene to be more realistic, Director Jon Favreau used a remote control to pop the jack-in-the-boxes at any time.
9. One of the elves is played by the actor who played Ralphie in A Christmas Story.
10. Will Ferrell turned down $29 million to do a sequel to Elf. (So sad!)
11. The raccoon that attacks Buddy makes monkey sounds instead of whatever sound a raccoon makes.