I had to have a very difficult conversation recently with an old friend. Here are a few things I've learned that helped the conversation have a positive outcome.
- Don't have difficult conversations by email. That never goes well.
- Avoid having a difficult conversation on the phone. Face-to-face is the way to go. A mentor of mine used to say, "Write good things; say bad things."
- Ask questions more than make statements. A good question is more helpful than a great answer.
- Be committed to understanding more than being understood.
- Remind yourself of the Gospel before the conversation. Remember what God has forgiven you of, and how He daily shows you mercy.