I came across some statistics that surprise me, and make me wonder: "What implications does this have for the Church?" Here are a few that I found most interesting:
- There are 5.3 billion mobile subscribers (that's 77% of the world population).
- Within 5 years mobile will overtake PC as the most popular way to get on the web.
- In 2011 over 85% of new handsets will be able to access the mobile web.
- $240 billion worth of bills will be paid by mobile phone (called m-payments) in 2011.
- M-payments are expected to reach over $1 trillion by 2015.
Some churches ignore technology (Amish); most are just a few decades behind; and some pay close attention yet aren't driven by technology. That is who we want to be.
I can think of several implications for the Church. What about you?